Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I know, I know...

November 21 The Maestro.
It was so so cold this morning and the wind last night introduced my face to the tent roof a couple of times it was that strong. Easy walking but longer than anticipated down to Jomsom. Being put up in a hotel here while Chhiri tries to organise food and porters for Dhaulagiri. Had free go at the menu, made many poor choices. Although the Apple Crumble was something I would expect at restaurant I can't afford. And I got to recharge the zen, most important. Wasted a whole Rs 50 on chocolate and Rs 1150 on socks (which turn out to be worse than useless).

November 22 For Extreme And Soft Trekking.
Walked back down to Marpha then straight up, gaining about 1100m. It was hard. I am tired. Hence the length of this here entry. First day of the Around Dhaulagiri part of the trek.

November 23 Pineapple Flavoured Biscuits vs Diarrhoea.
Anthony seemed rather unwell this morning, seems he made a number of trips to the bathroom last night. Except there is no bathroom so watch where you put those big feet son. He was worried it was Giardia but I highly doubt it, just plain old bacterial diarrhoea. We walked for an hour before Chhiri and I convinced him to just take a rest day, save it getting worse. Set up camp in the trashiest, dirtiest campsite I have ever seen. The Nepali's really don't care about their country (I assure you, 95% of the trash is not from tourists, although I suppose it's there because of tourists). I spent the day trying for 150+ on chronological Yahtzee, finally got there after 50 or so attempts. I have a touch of bacterial fun too so we littered our surrounds with spurts of caramel liquid joy. Might have to go back down tomorrow for medicine. NO FUN. Although taking a crap at 3800m staring at the gorgeous Nilgiri Massif in the twilight while clouds roll softly up the valley 500m directly below me was perhaps the most beautiful moment of my life. Oh, and these Pineapple Cream Biscuits we have in the food supply are amazing.

November 24 And Still More On The Pineapple Cream.
Yes that's right, we got a bag of the delicious delights from a group coming down. Got introduced to Nepali Muesli, which is raw instant noodles, the flavour sachet and beaten rice. Simple and tasty as. Met a nice American guy who has given me an excuse to go to Jackson Hole (I was looking for one) when I'm in the States. Awesome day overall. Anthony took a clogger and is about 80%, I felt really good going up at altitude, and got our first good look at Dhaulagiri. Plus the campsite is the polar opposite of yesterday. It's cold and windy but that is to be expected, can't complain.

November 25 I Suppose Pens Don't Work Very Well At -10.
Another good day walking, shorter than expected, but that's not a bad thing. Luckily we don't need the map we're carrying. It is woeful. Valleys and peaks all over the place. Quite dangerous actually. Thankfully we have Chhiri, Hem has done this trek recently also and is absolutely gunning it along with Binod. Both so strong. Another really great campsite on a snow plateau surrounded by 6500m+++ peaks. At about 5100m ourselves, the highest we've ever slept. Easily -15 overnight, climbing tomorrow.

No comments: