Monday, June 22, 2009

Saddles for sleeping, bear cans for creeping, Sierra for weeping

DAY THIRTY-NINE, June 17, 21.4 Miles
At mile 724.2
For the next 250(?, something like that) miles we are required to carry a bear resistant canister. Not all the time, but for most of it, and it's just easier to carry it the whole way. This makes food a challenge. Seven days worth seems to be the limit as to what you can fit in, some do ten, my excessive five days of food is a struggle. A real struggle. And it's a big, awkward, heavy, rigid lump of a thing that refuses to cooperate with my pack when full. Joy. I've worked it out I think, took about an hour. http://www.bearvault.com/ (the big one). Left Kennedy Meadows around eight, feels like a new trail, the change is more drastic than I expected, but it's mostly in my head I imagine, Kennedy has a lot of "finished the desert, now for the good stuff" attached to it. I really, truly enjoyed the Southern California sections though, so different from what I've hiked in the past, and it was beautiful, plus I prefer hot to cold any time. Not carrying water will be a pleasure, although, I did enjoy the logistical challenge of planning for the lack of water, somewhat. The infamous mosquito's made an instant appearance too. Outstanding. Parts of this section were burnt last year, the predominantly wildflower regrowth is eerily beautiful. Missed a lunch-bridge-troll opportunity. Devastating. Kind of rainy all afternoon, enough to be a pain, not enough to be wet. Felt pretty tired all day, got to our planned saddle camp earlier than I expected. Todd has moved on I guess, Shit Monkey, Hamburgerass and Shadow have appeared. Over 10,000ft.

No comments: