Sunday, September 12, 2010

Angel of Desire, retire.

Day EightyOne, September 6, 5 Miles
At Mile 1631, Poptart 590/1000
Got to Tennessee Pass early and stood in the cold wind for half hour before a friendly dude and his two ultra-friendly dogs gave me a ride into Leadville (Americas highest city? City is a loose term over here). The plan was to find my crew. So I went to Safeway. No dice. Already out of ideas I headed downtown. Just before I got there, Hawkeye appeared out of a house and invited me in. The house belonged to Bill and Pat and they were our amazing Leadville Trail Angels. Food, shower, comfort, internet, good times.
Leadville is an interesting town. At one point it was the second largest city in Colorado, with closed mines and modern times it's crashed a bit (or a lot) but has a cool feel about it. It's also all about the Leadville 100 Ultra for me. I'll be back to run that sucka one day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadville_Trail_100
Anyway, we got hotel rooms sorted (I claim another enforced-by-me zero for Joker, Hawkeye and Kombucha) and met up with Myke, Naomi and Kombucha's friends Amanda and Jeff for cheap beer. Like 2 for a dolla PBR's cheap beer. Ridiculous good and potentially a little dangerous. Leadville continued to bring the awesome when we hit up Quincy's. One item menu; choose your steak size. And I can't remember ever having Fillet Mignon that good, perfectly cooked or cheap.
Leadville. I love you.

No comments: