Sunday, September 12, 2010

Came back with your last call.

Day SeventyEight, September 3, 28 Miles
At Mile 1582, Poptart 568/1000
So all those "No Camping Overnight" signs in the hut were there for a reason. Not a threat or a even a request. They were advisory. There are these two giant fluorescent lights in the hut. That are on motion sensors. Which we had set up to sleep directly under. Awesome. I think each of the four of us spent much of the night listening to the other three trying not to move. I would stealthily, slowly, carefully move an arm or even fully roll over without setting it off. Then sighing in relief would be enough to light up my night. It was horrible. The second time the lights came on after none of us even moved Joker gave up and went outside. Once I moved and set off the sensor to the light above Hawkeye and Kombucha. Barely slept all night. I'm pretty sure you can torture people this way. I know you don't 'torture' people America, but you could use this sleep deprivation thing... Oh, wait...
Debility. Dependency. Dread.
Big climb off the pass but today's miles came much easier. Much less windy and some PCT style switchbacks down off Jones pass in a painfully long descent. A very /\/\/\/\/\/ afternoon, some sweaty climbs and scrappy use trails distracting all over. Ended up camping out at 11,450ft with the lights of Silverthorne and buzzing I70 below.

Every now and then something happens that reminds me I should look at my maps a more carefully, but I don't. Then something happens that reminds me I should look at my maps more carefully, but I don't. And so on. Till I get lost forever.

No comments: