Saturday, September 12, 2009

That's because I know better.

DAY ONE-FIFTEEN, September! 1, 23.9 Miles
At mile 2500.2
Quite enjoyed my time at the Dinsmores and the nothing-but-a-store-town of Baring (best pancakes on trail, without doubt), but I must onward! Got a hitch pretty quick with Super Dave and back on via the best trail head treats so far. Rain seemed inevitable all day, and sure enough it came. Sampled Blueberries for the first time in a while. Amazing. Why did I not do this earlier?!? No more shall I be disappointed by inconsistent Huckleberries. Nice cloudy views of Glacier Peak and friends. I've given myself a wee bit more time in this section, storms in 2003 and 2006 in the Glacier Peak area tore the trail apart. There is an official USFS reroute that nobody takes, the old PCT is passable, just a little challenging thanks to some washouts and interesting river crossings (real crossings, die-if-you-fall-in-crossings). As usual there are varying reports on the trail conditions, the amount of trees down over the trail (trail work has been minimal, bridges are the priority and funding, USFS bureaucracy etc etc blah crap) and the difficulty of some of the fords. We shall see. Usual PCT crap. I'm sure it won't be too bad.

No comments: