Sunday, September 20, 2009

Then the man in grey appeared.

DAY ONE-TWENTYONE, September 7th, 37 Miles
At mile 2655.6
Woke to an inch of snow and as much as they tried, the skies never cleared. My plan was to get to within a mile or two of the border tonight but I came across Reddy about noonday (no yams, no sun) and we just kept walking. We both wanted nothing more than to finish and good company always helps the miles pass by. Misty clouds prevented us from seeing anything, although watching Reddy attempt to cross a log and fall almost completely into mud all of half a mile from the border was very special. Getting wet and muddy in the late evening after a freezing day when all your gear is wet has to be one of the most depressing ways to end a thru-hike. We hit the border a wee bit before 8pm. My camera decided, once again, that on was a command it refused to take. We shared some Champagne and looked at the register but it was not the sort of end-to-a-2600-mile-hike celebration you'd expect. Another half mile and a suitable campsite was found. So I'm done with the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail. I've walked from Mexico to Canada. Super. There's eight miles of trail in Canada known as simply the 'Pacific Crest Trail' that I have to complete tomorrow then I'm quite done (except that turn around and hike 40 miles back to my ride bit).

No comments: