Sunday, August 15, 2010

My passionate hatred of you, blowing wind.

Day FiftyThree, August 9, 18.5 Miles
At Mile 1070, Poptart 371/1000
Early start under a fiery sunset, Rock Steady, DnA and myself were heading for the divide, with plans to stay there as long as possible before heading back down. I liked the idea of going all the way past (over?) Gannett Peak, the highest in Wyoming. It proved to be a little ambitious and would have had us camped on the windy divide. Some other day, I'm sure. Up past Shale Mountain and the last trail we would see for over a day. Slow going, 100% boulder hopping can only be so efficient. Lots of slog for little reward but the scenery kept improving and after lunch the divide exploded before us as Gannett and friends appeared and glaciers became frequent companions. Altitude was whipping me harder than it ever has at this height, not sure why. Bagged Downs Mountain, 13260ft yeah!
Bad weather kept passing us by, our luck would probably not last. Rock Steady had headed for Tourist Creek, it was getting late and myself, Dan and Anna decided on a bushwack down Pixley Creek. Glissading, then a typically awful moraine wall wack below Sourdough Glacier and Icefall Lake. Pitched my tarp foot into the wind, behind some boulders. But the wind had other ideas. Shifting and belting me side on before dragging a storm over us and shifting again to blow the rain into the open front of my tarp. Might not survive the night, but it was so so worth it.

No comments: