Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bad day for mathletixx

Day Three, 20 June, 28.5 miles
At Mile 59.5, Poptart 12/1000
Yeah wow. Had to organise my permit for the next couple of days at the Ranger Station. Full or snowed over campsites restricted my choices severely. Had a 28.5 miles day today with a couple of options tomorrow, both not good. The Rangers have been great though, pretty much letting me do what I want even though they don’t recommend hiking solo or 20+ mile days. Hit snow pretty quickly again on the way up to Piegan Pass. Went down a different trail and had an interesting time finding the trail I was supposed to be on. I never felt lost and kept hitting small sections of trail when it wasn’t under snow cover or footsteps of my predecessors. Really enjoy the route finding aspect of this trail so far. Not that there has been much in the National Park but apparently I am awesome at it anyway. I will be humbled soon enough. Of this I am sure. Can’t wait.
With massive views of the incredible Garden Wall and back where I’d come from distracting me from the eternal up I continued onward. Spotting the trail of footsteps up to the pass I had my destination. The wet snow was avalanching all over the place and a buzzing helicopter was not helping, but no immediate danger to myself. I hit the top of the pass and spotted Pace, Whitefish and Coach far below me heading down below where the trail sidled to avoid numerous active avalanche chutes. Probably a good idea. Someone had also headed straight down off the pass in the previous couple days, headed straight towards the visible piece of the Going-To-The Sun Road. Looked like a good idea until you get bluffed out and either abseil, go down a river or take an avalanche chute. None of those are good ideas. So I stuck with the majority, then left where everybody headed for the trees back up to where I hoped I would find the trail. Followed wolf prints for a while, crossed a line of small bear prints and came across a line of flagging tape that apparently lead to a tree of interest to someone that wasn’t me. Soon after I crossed a dicey creek half covered by snow I spotted a bridge over it and rejoined the trail. Caught the three I’d seen earlier talking with a Ranger. Enjoying the snow travel but ready for dry feet I hit the road and down to a couple of waterfalls via some well manicured, heavily travelled trails. 4.30 in the afternoon and I still had 12 miles to go. Thankfully it was flat and it‘s daylight until 10.30. Appeared as though a bear was the most recent user of this trail so I threw in some sporadic clapping and muttered loudly to myself. The storms were heading west, me east but eventually they caught up with me and it started to rain, then stopped, then started, and so began a trend that was to last the next 24 hours. Finally made it to my campsite after some very frustrating PCT style trail (taking forever to go nowhere) and spotting a moose. I discovered what is wrong with my stove, the thread is so rotten I need to screw it to the canister crooked and hope it doesn’t pop off. And it usually does. Pretty sure this is how explosions happen. Yeah. Think I’ll go back to reliable old coke can stove. I’m pitched on an awkward lean and it stopped raining only after I ate and set up my tent. Hanging all my food for the first time ever and I don’t like it one bit. OOIOO.

No comments: