Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The French word for 'Grape' is 'Raisin'? Really? Really?!?

When you have nothing else to worry about, small problems can quickly become exaggerated disasters. No, my map issue is not a small problem. It is the single biggest thing problem anywhere on the planet right now. Of all the thousands of pieces of mail Canada Post handles daily why did this package have to be the one with the problem? Why?
I'm going to start hiking tomorrow, getting replacement maps for the first couple of sections is no big deal and everything else will work itself out I am sure. I hope.
A whole bunch of people started hiking yesterday so I should only be a couple of days behind, and I shouldn't have any awkward six-month-plus-couple-days visa issues because of my December 13th flight home.
I was also able to finish the final season of Boy Meets World, which made me happy.
It's just cost me a fair bit of extra cash sorting out things and staying in Calgary an extra three nights. And my broken camera and "Best Fashion" Nepali watch are going to die any moment but i don't want to replace them just yet.

The Continental Divide Trail. That's what I'm doing. A 2100-3200 mile (depending which routes I take) long corridor down the US continental divide (surprise) between the Canadian and Mexican borders. Like the Pacific Crest Trail with less trail tread, more hunters, Grizzly Bears, more cows, less thru-hikers, longer hitches to towns, more time above 12,000 ft, more cold and more navigating skills required.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Divide_Trail

I have mostly the same gear as last year:
Pack: Macpac Amp Race 40. Kind of falling apart in places but should hold up. Blaze Orange colour means I don't get shot. Carries well, fairly light, utility belt is awesome. Smells bad.
Shelter: Mountain Laurel Designs Patrol Shelter in Cuban, poles and Bug Bivy. It's pretty awesome, good coverage, roomy and transparent. the Bug Bivy is a little short for my lank.
Sleeping Bag: The wonderful Marmot Hydrogen 30F/-1C that might not be warm enough but should be ok. I know it's limit and am comfortable taking it there (mid-low twenties). My Thermarest Prolite 3 Short and Gossamer Gear 1/8th thinlight help a lot. Was going to carry a bivy in cold sections but that never arrived. Yeah, I know. Postal Service.
Navigation: Let's not talk about that anymore. i have a button compass and my brain. I am over-confident.
Shoes: I have some halfway done old Montrail Hardrocks. The ones everyone loves except me. Will likely go back to New Balance after them.
Grizzly Bear Protection: What? I'll hang my food probably?
Ziplocs: Using the same toilet paper bag as last year (with some leftover tp) and a couple of the same food ziplocs. How awesome am I?
I have an awesome hat, my shemag, uncooperative mp3 player and some clothes.
Good times.

Michael's Le CDT plans and challenges (I want more challenges. Challenge me):
1000 Poptart Challenge (wonder if they would sponsor me....)
100 mile One Candy Challenge (maybe).
One Meal One Section Challenge (I swear I'll do it this time).
McUltimate Challenge.
Double Double Down Challenge.
Break the 50 mile day Challenge.
Cut down the casual swearing Challenge.
On Trail Zero Day.
No Beard this year because it looks awful.
Only use my tarp if I really have to. Cowboy!
10+ Peak Bags. At least.
Actually take photos of interesting things. I'm going to be one of those ultra-irritating camera all the time people, if my camera co-operates.

No comments: