Thursday, June 24, 2010

Because I still don't believe they're real.

Day One, 18 June, 9.5 miles
At Mile 9.5, Poptart 2/1000
East Glacier is a super friendly little town, very happy the trail comes back through here. Took the shuttle back up to Chief Mountain, the most awesomely shaped mountain of all. Know the park pretty well now, at least where roaded parts. Happy to finally be started, even with a few things still hanging over me, It‘s been too long. Muddy trail, Stewart Island muddy. I’m supposed to make noise to warn any bears of my impending arrival. I’m also supposed to carry Bear Spray, hike with others and not sleep with my food. Oh well. My noise making generally involves me mumbling the words to El Scorcho or epic loud clapping, and that doesn’t happen much cause I’m all self conscious and such. Plenty of water around, no surprises there, the crossings were high but no big deal. I’m carrying my tent for this section, it will rain, then back to the tarp from East Glacier south. Campsite is full, couple other thru hikers around and some super ballsy critters begging for scraps.
For some reason I’m hiking like it’s central Oregan PCT. I cannot do those miles right now and don’t want to but I can see myself hiking hard anyway, no breaks, long days. Got to slow down. Five months.

No comments: