Thursday, June 24, 2010

Prove it to me then.

Day Two, 19 June, 21.5 miles
At Mile 31, Poptart 8/1000
Very cold last night, but perfect weather today, when it started to get too hot the clouds came over. Thanks man. Up to Red Gap Pass, hit snow but it had a good crust so not much postholing. Beautiful veins of red in the rock up towards the pass. Wait… Red… Rock… Red Rock Pass! Of course. The peak to the north of the pass, Seward, appeared to have footprints going up. So I followed. Peak Bag. Yeah. Turns out it was just a crazy Elk that appeared to be on some sort of manhood quest to climb a mountain for reasons that are beyond me. Why do Elk climb mountains? Maybe it was a Moose? That still doesn’t explain anything.
Anyway, I’m climbing this mountain. And by climbing I mean walking up. In earnest, of course. And it’s getting increasingly burly, becoming technical beyond my hands and shoes. Avalanches across the other side were making me nervous and I was entering crevasse territory. And after the fourth false summit I was rather irritated. So at a shoulder about 300ft below the summit I piked out. Still had an amazing view to the east, south and west. After deciding against starting an avalanche on my way down the south-eastern slope and it being too slushy to glissade down the way I came I rejoined the trail and headed down to Poia Lake. Where there were mosquitoes. Many, many mosquitoes. Pretty boring afternoon down to the Many Glacier Resort, took a side trip up to Apikuni Falls. I smell like a thru-hiker already which is awesome.

No comments: