Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thumbs.

Hitchhiking. Goddamn. I hate it so much, but enjoy it almost as much. I'm willing to do it but never look forward to it. I almost always get picked up by someone amazing/interesting/generous/wonderful but hate standing on the side of a highway for two hours waiting for them to appear. When it takes a day and a half to complete what should be a three hour drive, my head gets clouded with frustration. I couldn't honestly differentiate it from street begging. And I hate street begging. America hasn't been too bad hitch-wise, so long as you avoid Interstates. Which is usually the problem.

Back from a week in Michigan and my return to the UP, greatest place in America. Ben dropped me off just outside Marquette before he started this. I was headed towards my old nemesis, Sault Ste Marie. Back to Canada. I walked over an hour on the highway shoulder before I got picked by Frank, an 84 year old WWII paratrooping veteran corporate lawyer extraordinaire who embodies all of what I said up there about people who pick me up. I had 38 miles left after Frank and I parted ways. It was a little after 1pm. Awesome. Second car that passed me picked me up but could only take me three miles. OK. I was in high spirits. I LOVE travelling this way. Another hour later I was over it. I HATE this. No more. Unfortunately I was in the middle of nowhere. A position where I would see someone who genuinely needs assistance, yet all these drivers see is "Holy fuck he wants to kill me! Don't stop! DON'T STOP!!". I walked off the highway and into the forest. I had my tarp, a book (City of Thieves by David Benioff, ridiculous good) and some music. No food though (I wouldn't eat for 23 hours, oh woe is me!!). But I had plenty of sleep to catch up on after a week of good times. No problem. Early this morning I got a relatively quick ride from Steve who'd hitched down to Florida more times than he could remember and had some astonishing stories for me. Sault Michigan is way better than this side, I had my fortune told at the bus stop and like it.

See what I mean.
Tomorrow I start a 700km hitch to Thunder Bay. $140 for the bus is ridiculous. Dang.

If you're really bored: http://www.socresonline.org.uk/6/3/chesters.html
Also, get Donnis' mixtape if you like the rap musak.

No comments: