Sunday, October 17, 2010

Done with all this thinking.

Day OneTwelve, October 7, 30 Miles
At mile 2228, Poptart 816/1000
Clear, warm morning. Easy hiking 'cause we took the road for a change of pace. Faster pace. Town. Hawkeye's doing better than me but the Peanut M&M's are starting to wear. Definitely will not run out, pretty well force eating. Salt cravings and that hollow stomach feeling from not eating anything of substance. If you think I'm whining, that at least I get to eat, it's true. But we are doing big miles. The body demands sustenance. And despite this, I do like these challenges. This particular one came from me cruising 56 miles last year and my curiosity of how far a thru-hiker can take Peanut M&M's. At least this thru-hiker.
Dropped down to Ojo de los Indios (Indian Springs) for lunch and high quality H2O. More road after lunch, caught DIY, found a nice camp in some pines. Soft duff mmm. Not before some blue sky rain though. No clouds around at all except these wee little puffs. Which were apparently the source of the rain. Grand. Some hunters just offered beer, Elk steaks and potatoes. Which Hawkeye and myself are bound by the rules of the challenge to refuse. Oh, how I hate the world. Resorted to eating all the orange, red and brown M&M's this afternoon. I swear I can taste the difference between the different food colourings. Red Lake 40 is the best, Yellows 5 and 6 are pretty good. Not a big fan of the Blues, except Lake 2.

No comments: