Sunday, October 17, 2010

S.P.F.C.C.S.M.F.T.F.D.T.

Day OneSixteen, October 11, 35 Miles
At Mile 2319, Poptart 826/1000
Woke up to the sound of Kombucha's alarm.
Groaned.
Already??
But they weren't moving.
If they won't I won't.
But I should, we need to get going.
Hawkeye lightly snoring.
I get out my headlamp and check the time.
12:30am
Dang.
Four hours later the process repeats itself, this time we eventually all get up and pack. A little after 5am we're off. This is our sixty mile day to Pie Town. The PTS. Couple miles to the highway then across to El Malpais (The Badlands). A giant lava field. Great. Walking on lava blows. By the time we'd crossed we were averaging 2.5mph. With 50 miles left for the day it was already looking like we'd be in for a long day. Meanwhile RT and Scout were going to stay off road as much as possible, go at a normal pace and meet us in Pie Town in a couple days. After refilling from our cache we started on the 17 miles along the shoulder of highway 117. Passing La Ventana (The Window) Natural Arch and The Narrows then out in the hot, wide openness of New Mexico. Kombucha's brother Keith came out to meet us as we hit dirt York Ranch Road, the road that would carry us most of the remaining 32 miles to Pie Town. We took bets on what time we'd get in. Mine was 2am but a seed of doubt and tiredness was growing. I had began to feel as I did about the same time of day a week or so ago. Not good. Not sure what it is, nothing to do with miles, temperature, rest, anything I can make sense of. All I knew is I wasn't going to walk sixty miles today and I was extremely disappointed. Crashed hard at about 6pm as my two friends pushed on.

No comments: