Sunday, October 17, 2010

This could be the number that brings it all crashing down.

Day OneFourteen, October 9, 6 Miles
At Mile 2261, Poptart 816/1000
Very happy to get going this morning, an extra mile of trail was annoying but got to town a little before 9am. Done. That was my limit. Physically, I think I could handle another couple thirties but mentally no. All other restricted resupply challenges now pale in comparison. 108 miles of nothing but Peanut M&M's, save for water. Legit. Now, onto salt. Walked through the supermarket, getting my resupply and overwhelmed by what would be my first item of salty deliciousness. With all the treats in the world at my immediate disposal I left the store with nothing. Nothing. But there was a reason, what I really wanted, what I'd been craving, was the BBQ chips from the Dollar Store. And there was one close by. And so it was I was reunited with salt. Happy. Headed to the trail angels, who'd put out a cache below Mt Taylor and we'd made contact with. Hugo and Carole, true trail magic of the highest order. Four smelly hikers were welcomed into their home, fed, washed and introduced to their three awesome dogs, bird and a mysterious number of cats (Hawkeye later figured eleven). Spent the afternoon chatting about the trail and the local area. Apparently Scout, who'd come out from San Diego to hike a section, had hiked out planning to surprise us. Unfortunately, we'd taken different routes and missed each other. Actually, this may have been a good thing. He was packing out beer and as still bound by the rules at that point Hawkeye and myself may have cracked. Good to see Scout again when he showed up, as did Myke with his parents Beth and Phil. Watched some college football. About four games simultaneously. Which is the only tolerable way to actually watch games. Very happy right now.

No comments: