Sunday, October 17, 2010

How long can/does it really last?

Day OneEleven, October 6, 29 Miles
At Mile 2198, Poptart 816/1000
Well, at least that gives me all four states. Rained out of a cowboy for the fourth and hopefully last time, as usual it was all but over by the time I'd set up my tarp. Same Mesa walking as yesterday, which was wonderful. Trail was craving attention as it so often does, winding around, spent much time cairn spotting and snake checking. Landscape here is incredible, like I so often say. Just imagine all those westerns you saw. Cowboy man. Lunch at a tap that worked, despite hearing it didn't (RT later dubbed it Schroedinger's Tap, which I love), really good water. There have been just enough great sources that we're willing to carry and avoid the crap, which has been nice. Wind picked up in the afternoon and some big storms rolled in. It's always much more enjoyable watching a storm that's passing you by. The way they colour the desert is worth stopping and watching. Crossed the wide and slightly flowing Arroyo Chico and enjoyed another orange/blue sunset. Missed Ley's famed quicksand, not wet enough dangnit. Pushing for Ojo Frio, our next water, I lost sight of the others, then stopped seeing cairns. This meant I was no longer on the CDT. I was on a cow path, or a horse trail, or a sandy little draw. As darkness crept towards me I stubbornly persisted. Not until the trail swung back north, a direction I was most definitely not supposed to be walking, did I take a quick survey at my map and realise I needed to be just over there on the other side of the hill. Cross country was not the most appealing of prospects in the gloom with the abundance of pointy flora about. I eventually hit a fence and what I was disappointed to find was not a gate. Headed towards where the trail was along the fenceline, I figured I'd find myself soon enough. Down and scrambling back up a washout I has kicking cacti in the dark when I spotted another figure stumbling towards me. RT. We immediately spotted two headlamps in the exact location we were headed and hopped the fence. Hopped is probably not the best word actually. RT slithered under whilst I, in my infinite tallness got halfway between almost over and pretty-much-over before losing my balance. Luckily a friendly cactus was there to break my fall. Nice water, nice campsite, dead headlamp. Peanut M&M's are still treating us both well. Although I must admit that I'm extremely intimidated by the fact there are two full days left before the final morning. No salt cravings to speak of, worried about that too. My experience with these ridiculous food challenges tells me I should be craving it hard right now.

No comments: