Sunday, October 17, 2010

The tropics of Cancer, Capricorn and a wrecked knee.

Day OneOhSix, October 1, 3 Miles
At Mile 2098, Poptart 784/1000
Oh, that's exactly what I wanted to happen. In a way.
Box Canyon was unbelievable. Scrambling upstream, over, under and through. Probably need photos. The narrowing canyon, worn smooth by millennia of flash floods and an apparently permanent spring-fed creek, dead-ended in a massive amphitheatre that had us staring, wondering, wandering and smiling. Definitely the best side trip yet. Back down and headed for Ghost Ranch. The landscape here is incredible. Georgia O'Keefe lived here, it's not hard to see why and her paintings say more than words can. Ghost Ranch is also something incredible. A Presbyterian desert retreat and conference centre that is beyond welcoming and friendly to hikers. Dan, Anna and Myke were there, both Myke and Dan had been sick, Dan with a diagnosed case of the 'G' (giardia). Apparently he had mentioned the claims made by Joker and myself that we were asymptomatic carriers of Giardia. My G research had lead me to believe this is not uncommon amongst adults, the doctor claimed otherwise. Asymptomatic no. But I am right. Of course. I don't know, but I still haven't treated anything and I'm fine, last year was the same. If it's delusion, at least it makes me happy. Hung out around the ranch, got some AYCE, watched a storm, cleaned and interneted. Stayed up late and listened to the AFL final replay. Oh Australia, I miss you. Got to bed around 2am, sleeping out in the campground.

No comments: