Monday, August 31, 2009

There's no goats in Goat Rocks Wilderness.

DAY ONE-OH-SEVEN, August 24, 31.7 Miles
At mile 2299.2
Well, I didn't see any. Coldest night since the high Sierra last night, saw my first Elk this morning, they're almost hilariously skittish. Spent the day in the Goat Rocks Wilderness, one of the best parts of the trail yet. Huge, endless, glacier carved valleys, narrow ridges and aggressive peaks, waterfalls and wildflowers, completely amazingly wonderful terrain. Above treeline for the first time in ages, only once more above 7000ft on the trail. Finally caught the big group that has been ahead of me, put some faces to names I knew from the registers. The trail after lunch took me across the top of a glacier, then up and down the incredible Knife Ridge. I had spotted a big snow slope on they way down. Glissade potential. And there was no evidence of a previous user. Pioneer!! Although, I then had to slog down through snowgrass to get back to the trail. Didn't really save any time, fun all the same. And then I started to get that feeling that I wasn't on the PCT. I hate that feeling. Turns out I was where I needed to be and hiked till near dark when I set up camp right on trail. With mosquito's. The last climb of the day put me high on the crest with ridiculous views of Goat Rocks and Adams, down and out to the West, North to Rainier and a massive smile on my face. Don't even remotely care that my camera is currently refusing to work. There's a fire to the East...

No comments: