Tuesday, August 4, 2009

We are the free.

DAY EIGHTY-FOUR, August 1, 34.9 Miles
At mile 1700
Curious day. High spirits this morning, big climb rewarded big views. The Marbles, Seiad Valley, Klamath River, and Shasta is back. No idea why I felt so good, but why question such things? Wasn't really expecting to see anybody today so was surprised to see three firefighters mopping up two lightning fires I wasn't even aware of. I was told to expect more storms, and sure enough a couple rolled over in the late afternoon. The wind was my ally though, and sent them north as I pushed on eastward (yeah, I know). My plan was to get to and camp at the California/Oregon border, only the border is on a switchback (the switchback immediately after the fake border, kudos to you fake-border-sign-putter-upper) so I did self portraits and continued onward.

Oregon. Finally. After 1698.8 miles of California, I am in another state. Of course, it's essentially the same as the previous couple hundred miles, what do you expect. But it feels different, it really does. It feels foreign and alien to me, like I'm not supposed to be here. The encroaching storms probably added to that. It's amazing how simply the knowledge that there is an imaginary line that I crossed, which has no real physical or geographical significance at this point, makes me feel this way. Campsite was the main thing on my mind though, it was getting late, and looked as though I was going to get a storm for sure. As usual, when most desperately needed, no adequate piece of flat ground presents itself. I also had the dilemma of tree cover or no tree cover. There's been a disturbing amount of tree fall about and I'd rather not have a branch on me, but my tent has holes, and rain has a habit of finding and exploiting holes. I pushed on, finding myself distracted by one incredible sunset and the beauty of the storm rolling over and above me. Eventually I just pitched right on the trail (literally on) and dove in for the night. Storm seems to have passed. Looking forward to Ashland tomorrow.

No comments: