Thursday, May 14, 2009

And so, from nothing, our universe begins.

DAY ONE, May 11, 20.6 Miles
So it begins. Frodo took the five of us (George from Georgia, Lindsey from Austin, Hannah and Robert from San Francisco and myself from New Zealand) to the border. Arrived at about 7.30, there was another starting as well, Monologue (trail name, she's hiked the Appalachian Trail). Everyone is super nice and excited. There were two other guys there with nothing packs and no water, they had an ultra friendly camera crew/support team with them but not sure what their deal is. So we got our photos, signed the register, touched the border fence and the monument and said our byes and thankyous to Frodo. Begin. Really good to start, a little surreal to be walking on this trail, the first day is a 20 Mile waterless stretch to Lake Morena so packs were heavy (35 pounds) with food and litres of water. I forgot my watch. Outstanding. We all got into our own rhythm pretty soon and split off, easy going but rather warm. The five of us met up again about midday for a long lunch and to wait till about three, which is generally the best strategy for the So Cal sections. Spent a few hours relaxing, sort of, and chasing shade. The landscape down here is beautifully dramatic and even greenish, more so than I had expected. It's pretty smoggy though. Didn't get into Lake Morena till dark, Scout had left me my watch on the trail (thanks!), so I have time again. There's a campground with shower which is magic, although perhaps wasted on the first day? I'll take it.

No comments: