Saturday, May 9, 2009

Holy Lord, Cool Runnings is such a good movie.

Alright.
My sleeping bag already stinks, some of my clothes are already sweaty, and they stink too. I already have a scrappy beard. I'm tired. And it's hot. I am so ready to start this bad boy. Heaps excited. I really, truly am. My first leg is 78 Miles (4 days? that's how much food I have anyway) to a Highway 78 where I can hitch to Julian. If this makes no sense to you then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Crest_Trail
http://www.pcta.org/
That's what I'm doing. Starting tomorrow. Yep.

Important details for people like me, in a convenient 'point form':
  • My base weight is 15lb/6.5 kg. A little heavier than I want but there's nothing I want to remove at this stage (Base weight is pack weight without food, water and fuel). I'm happy.
  • My feet are wearing New Balance 904's. Awesome shoe. All green and gold and black (like Jamaica. Not Australia). Weighs nothing and breathes like a sponge at a rag convention (yes).
  • I plan on using my Shemag. Despite the fact it makes me look like a 'terrorist'. Probably not the best idea I've had. Certainly not the worst. I have a hat as well. I hate hats. But it's going to be very hot, very dry, and very shadeless for a while.
  • I use a TarpTent Contrail. I love it and so did that Kea. Everything I have gets broken somehow.
  • My pack is a blaze orange Macpac Amp 40. Might be a little small on occasion but perfect most of the time. Plus you'd never loose me in a crowd. It's beautiful.
  • I'm bringing a squash ball and the aforementioned, uncharged Creative Zen to keep me occupied when I need to be occupied. Yahtzee is also going to make an appearance.
Also, updating this may or may not be regular or even feasible. I don't plan on being in civilisation much till mid September. So bear (yeah, the bears. Shall be interesting) with me.
I have to thank Frodo and Scout again for everything. It's been the easiest way to start.

See you in Canada.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great insight! Do you take medicines with you to help heal the foot blisters? I work in a grocery store in Wrightwood CA and see the PCT hikers who come thru our community. Take care out there!

michaelmichaelmichael said...

I usually just lance and tape my blisters. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. They're pretty bad at the moment.
I'll be in Wrightwood in about two weeks I think.