Friday, May 29, 2009

I'm fairly certain there's a rock following me. It positions itself right in front of my right big toe whenever I look up from the trail. STOP IT.

DAY EIGHTEEN, May 27, 27.7 Miles
At mile 334.3
The trail between Deep Creek hot springs and the Mojave River Forks Reservoir Dam. Well. It was horrible. Trash everywhere, cigarette butts, graffiti. The graffiti was the worst. Come on. It was everywhere. I like graffiti and tags. When it's artistic, intelligent, or daring. But this was just all too common, pathetic vandalism. I think the fact that there was nothing remotely good says a lot of the people who do and do not tag up there. The dam is garish and if you believe the guidebook, quite unnecessary. Actually, the guidebook was fantastic today, "The next morning..." assuming anyone would want to camp at the dam (no), "possibly with a brisker stride..." whatever. Just describe the damn trail. It was actually pretty easy to get lost after the dam, and I did, sort of. I was paralleling the trail until pointed in the right direction. Trolled under a bridge in front of Cedar Springs Dam (yeah, another one) for lunch, until I was woken by a carefree herbicide man. Silverwood Lake was nice, a swim was tempting, but I want to get to McDonald's as early as possible tomorrow morning (yes, I've been planning this for a while). Got a fresh blister for my troubles today, and my dodgy knees are returning with a vengeance. Cloudy and anty campsite. Looked like rain until the clouds literally (yes) disappeared. As if it was going to rain...

No comments: