Monday, May 18, 2009

We could be something in a new location.

DAY FIVE, May 14, 14 Miles
At mile 91.2
Mike and Phyllis. Oh how much you did for me. They gave me breakfast and gave me and an appeared out of nowhere George up to lovely Julian to resupply. Very nice little town and very hiker friendly. Got a little food and some internet at the super friendly library. Two hairy man-hikers trying to hitch down to Scissors was getting a little tough. Until. The Millers appeared into our lives (again). So they gave us a lift down to Scissors Crossing and we trolled under the Hwy 78 bridge with Bluebird, Buster and a friendly King Snake until it got cooler. Only it didn't, and it was 14 miles to the water cache (volunteers and generally nice folk stock water in places to help us get through long dry stretches, this one is in a particularly difficult location and is very much appreciated) where we wanted to camp so we got going at 2.40. It was super hot and very exposed. A fair climb than an endless sidle. the views were outstanding though. I was pretty burned out with a few miles to go and didn't get in to about 8. I saw a Mountain Lion print (I think) on the way up and a ton of lizards, birds, bugs and scurriers. The desert is so alive at dusk. Beyond tired so I had a lunch for dinner and just cowboy camped (no tent, I would have started doing that soon enough anyway). It's a beautiful spot up here, there's five other hikers with me and stars forever. This is why I'm here.

*I apoligise for me being super vague at times, internet time is precious little. I also apoligise for my confusing and awkward mash of gorgeous metric and annoying American measurements. But yeah.*

No comments: