Monday, May 25, 2009

There's no bears in Big Bear.

DAY FIFTEEN, May 24, 9.4 Miles
At mile 265.3
It was cold this morning, damn cold. Damn damn cold. Wanted to get to Big Bear as early as possible, my plan was to resupply, hitch back out and keep going to Wrightwood. However. I'm pretty sure I can have a night in town and still make it by Friday, so that's what I decided. I guess this section of the trail is where all the balloons in California come to die. Something to do with wind, or lack of, I guess, but there's so many tattered balloons about. Including one that sang. Horribly. Damn balloons. Rant. There was cans of soda waiting at the highway. And on the subject of waiting at the highway. Todd and me. Thumbs out. Forty-five minutes. Far. Out. And. As soon as Buster, Bluebird and George appeared, the FIRST CAR stopped. Really? He was English and really nice. Big Bear is also nice, a wee bit too spread out, but walking is what we do. Devastated the Sizzler Salad Bar Buffet. Didn't even need dinner. Big Bear Hostel is outstanding.

2 comments:

John said...

Have fun getting to Lake Silverwood. Crestline is the best, then again I have a personal bias towards Crestline.

Anonymous said...

hate balloon rants too,sorry about that,mushrooms for dinner that night,hope you are doing well,love reading your blog