Monday, May 18, 2009

One hundred.

DAY SIX, May 15, 19.6 Miles
At mile 110.8
Passed mile 100 this morning. I'm getting there. It was so damn humid last night and super warm. Woke up all sweaty. Obviously it's not enough to sweat litres during the day. It was a pretty cruisy walk down to Barrel Spring were I met up with the rest of the five for lunch (that being George, Sean, Bluebird and Buster). I spend most of my time hiking alone but usually lunch and camp with others, there's maybe eight other hikers that I see regularly. It wasn't too hot today and I don't mind when it is anyway. We all wanted to get to the Warner Springs store, which closes at 6.30, so got going early afternoon. Walked through some open grassy fields on the way which was nice for variety, and passed Eagle Rock, a rock that looks like an eagle (yeah). Needless to say that song was in my head for a while. Reminded me of all those weddings. Got to the store with time to spare and increased my daily calorie count threefold. Normal caloric requirements are 2000-2500, out here we probably can take 4000-6000. This is very hard to do. Especially when you have to carry it. And six litres of water. So it doesn't happen. Only when you hit civilisation do you get close. The other four had packages to pick up in the morning so we wanted to camp close to town, found a nice enough spot near a beautiful and very welcoming old chapel. Some nuns appeared, I asked if it was ok that we camp there. They were Chinese tourists who barely spoke English. Oops. Just as I was about to bed down someone came from behind a torch and asked us to leave. Turns out it was the security guard from the Warner Springs Resort (the town basically is the resort) and we ended up staying there. Crafty fellow. Splitting a room five ways wasn't too bad and they have a hot spring pool which was ultra hot on my rash-legs but soothing all the same.

No comments: