Monday, May 18, 2009

The tale of Charlie the hungry Rattlesnake and Paul the angry Rock.

DAY EIGHT, May 17, 22.3 Miles
At mile 151.3
My biggest mile day yet, and oh how I am feeling it. Feet are quite sore. Planning a zero in Idyllwild tomorrow which is very much needed (a zero day means no trail miles, usually with a night in a town bookending said day). Woke up with the sunrise this morning which was as beautiful as you imagine it was. Todd had a mousy visitor which didn't bother me, and I was sleeping in the open again. Saw a mid sized rattlesnake on the trail. All curled up and asleep. Probably could have jumped over and it wouldn't have noticed, but for the sake of him and anyone behind me, I shooed him off the trail, he didn't rattle or even seem to notice me or Todd, and we both watched him for a good ten minutes. Came to a most interesting water source, a 'Guzzler', no idea. But it looked like a broken old two space parking lot with a hole in it. Used my bandanna to filter out the lumps and wildlife and decided to (for the first time) use iodine. It was actually quite good, that water. Wish I had some right now. More of the same walking today, sidle, sidle, sidle, although I hit the steepest sections yet. I've got a good idea of my pace (2.75mph) and can pretty accurately gauge when I'll get to a landmark, which is very useful. Was moving pretty slow all afternoon though. Todd was the only person I saw all day, until George showed up at dark.

No comments: