Thursday, May 14, 2009

Skeleton Boy.

DAY THREE, May 11, 18.4 Miles
At mile 60
I got going too late. Again. At least today didn't get too hot. Got in about 11 miles before lunch, quite nice actually, some big views, I probably should spend some time finding out what it is I'm actually looking at most of the time. Met up with another hiker, Shaun, and had a nice shady lunch in a picnic area. Just as we were about to leave George appeared. Just as we were about to leave again the Miller's showed up with water and Oranges. Magic. They are a super nice couple who stock up some of the water stops in this section with fresh water. The spirit of helping and support surrounding this trail (trail magic) is almost beyond belief, so many people willing to go out of their way to help complete strangers. I love it. I have some serious pay-it-forward to give. And I will. Didn't end up leaving the picnic area till 3:30 and we had planned on going another 11 miles. We had to camel up on water, there's some water along the way but some of it is off trail, which I'll avoid if possible, and I wanted to be prepared for a dry camp. Wasn't too hot, rather blowy though. I ended up stopping at about six-thirty after about 7.5 Miles at a nice, relatively sheltered flat to set up camp. George and Shaun were right behind me. My feet are getting a little mangly, the heat, sand, sweat, and walking makes for unavoidable blisters. Not too bad though.

No comments: