Monday, May 18, 2009

That song by the Barenaked Ladies.

DAY SEVEN, May 16, 18.2 miles
At mile 129
So I've been walking for a week. So I had that song in my head. "Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride" enters my head whenever it so desires as well. Which is super lame and totally keeps me going (yes). Left Warner a little late this morning and actually crossed a flowing creek for a change. Five times. I even got my shoe a little wet. Incredible. Water is generally for drinking and nothing else. So I get, and stay, pretty filthy. Lunch was so fly heavy I quickly moved on. The trail crossed through a beautiful boulder field in a section that was badly burned in a wildfire a few years back, it was incredible. reminded me a little of Castle Hill in the South Island. Amazing to walk through. A Trail Angel named Mike has opened his property and water tank up to thru-hikers, he lives a little way down a dirt road the trail crosses. Another one of the ridiculously nice, generous folk who just likes to help people out here. Monologue was down there, along with some new folk, Tom and Tori from Alaska and two guys named Matt. There was this chair. It was just a regular camp chair. It was incredible. So I stayed an extra hour. Just sitting. Magic. Walked another two miles up to the shoulder of a peak I wish I could remember (Coumbs? no? I don't know), anyway, point is, there was an awesome collection of campsites with views all round. Splendid. Todd appeared and we spent the night chatting. Super nice guy. And the bugs love him and ignore me. Perfect.

I have been trail named. Most thru-hikers get a trail name. It's another part of the awesome trail culture I love so much. Apparently I say heaps, well, heaps (and I really, really do). And Americans seldom use it. So I am Heaps.
Excellent.
So one week. Feeling pretty good. Feet are sore, the desert environment makes it worse. If you hardly get blisters, you will here (ask Buster). If you never chafe (me), you will here. The dirt gets through your shoes and socks and your feet are black. Like I said before water is for drinking. Only. And often I'm carrying five litres of it. The water report is priceless. I don't mind the heat as much as most, all those Australian summers spent working outside were great for that. Loving the desert, the wildlife, the scenery, the whle PCT so far.

No comments: