Friday, July 16, 2010

A caché of poorly made weapons.

Day TwentyFour, 11 July, 31 Miles
At Mile 502, Poptart 144/1000
Following the lightly used alternate kept me well occupied this morning, well blazed but still a challenge to stay on-trail. I quite enjoy it actually. Vague but flat old jeep roads took me to yet another highway crossing. Took another bushbash alternate that wasn't worth it. Back onto gravel I met the CDTA mapping crew who were super nice and have a fine product in production (little expensive maybe...). What a sweet job they have. They gave me a heads up that there were seven hikers a couple hours ahead and a NOBO coming my way. In the distance behind me was another SOBO too. Crazy. Meet Tessa, a NOBO sectioner doing Montana, and from NZ, in a bog. Chatted a whiles, she'd broken her wrist but was powering on cast style. Found caught up as we were talking and we made our way through the bogs and up the road towards the Annaconda/Pintler Wilderness. Nice to hike and chat again. Found is mapping the CDT for Backpacker Magazine. Made our way through mosquito hordes up to Upper Seymor Lake. Terrified a poor mum and cub black bear on the way. Lake and campsite is beautiful. If it rains tonight I'll be in a puddle, currently flicking mosquitoes from my bivy into the inside of my tarp. It's great.

No comments: