Monday, July 26, 2010

What CDT?

Day ThirtyTwo, 19 July, 28 Miles
At Mile 648, Poptart 206/1000
So, you may or may not know that I spent much of the two months prior to this hike slacklining. So when I see a tree across a creek I usually go for it, the thinner and flimsier, the better. I'm going to blame it on my shoes and pack, but my success rate is depressingly low.
Past the pleasant Rock Island Lakes, hauled up and over a couple of steep, forested ridges before dropping down to a road where I caught up to Joker who'd found Rolling Thunder and Mike With A Y. Decided to take a long, exposed, hot road walk alternate. It was flat and quicker, and totally worth it when some friendly folk stopped to chat and handed me a cold beer. After being bombed by a posse of heavily laden jeeps and a rather unfriendly NOBO I headed onward, past a meadow full of nine Port-A-Loo's grazing in their natural habitat up to where Joker, Mike and RT where breaking by a stream. Decided on another shortcut, this one a steep bushwack with some of the worst mosquitoes I've ever encountered. Passed by Cowbone Lake in the forest without seeing it (named after 60 desperately thirsty cows drowned when they broke through November ice). Joker and I headed over Goldstone Pass via some rock climbingly good times.

No comments: