Monday, July 26, 2010

Like Agnes, Agatha, Jermaine and Jack.

Day Thirty, 17 July, 17 Miles
At Mile 590, Poptart 190/1000
My hair smells wonderful. Saw Toy Story 3 last night. So unbelievably good. Marc Fennell was right to give it five stars. We've always agreed anyway, except on The Dark Night. That movie is rubbish, aside from Heath Ledger. Well it is.
Took Joker and myself two rides and over an hour of thumbing but we made it back up to Lost Trail Pass without too much trouble. Although 40 minutes in Salmon does equal my CDT hitching record. The second guy had a broken hand, which I forgot about until after I shook it in thanks. He manned through the pain. Hiked a mile up the highway to Chief Joseph before returning to the trail; a pleasant, shady quiet forest road. The kind of road walking I enjoy 'cause it's virtually a triple wide trail. Black Flies, Horse Flies, Butterflies. The divide here doubles as the Montana/Idaho border so my current state of affairs changes countless times a day. What.
Point is, the ups, and indeed the downs too, were intense once we left the road. Like make even DOCNZ trail builders cry intense. Even my hahaha "Nepali Flat!!!" porter friends would cry going up and down some of those suckas. Eventually made it to Big Hole Pass and enjoyed a dinner of half a Subway and croutons (best trail food ever). Experienced what I later learned is a new trend on the trail, excellent tread, no markings. I'm on a trail alright, but the right one? Who cares.
Carrying five untried Poptart flavours...

No comments: