Friday, July 16, 2010

Man, I don't wanna share the trail with damn SUL'ers.

Day TwentyTwo, 9 July, 17 Miles
At Mile 440, Poptart 128/1000
Got up super early with a nice sunrise and threw down to Pipestone Pass. Quick hitch into Butte, shower, breakfast, library, post office, lunch, resupply, print maps, done. Only Butte wasn't going to let me go that easily. Had to walk three miles out of town to the highway turnoff where I promptly got a ride. I thought I had destroyed the Pizza Hut buffet and would be able to hike 12 quick miles in the evening. No. It had destroyed me. My first hour on trail was disgraceful. Took three breaks, heavy pack, angry stomach. Was too full to even drink water, and I was so desperately thirsty. Eventually it all settled and the trail was easy. Rain came and went, providing an amazing fire-yellow sunset in its wake. Lighting up my world. Got to the trail head camping area of a relatively popular gravel road around 9 and enjoyed my Taco Bell carry out. Yer. The last 1/4 mile of trail was ridiculous beyond anything I've experienced yet. You simply must experience it some day. Redefining pointlessness. Looking ahead, Anaconda/Pintler Wilderness looks nice so I'm glad I packed out extra food. Will see but doubt I want to do thirties through there. Might do some cross country divide walking instead.

Top Five Stomach Exploding Times In My Life (that I can recall right now)
1. On the bus in Nepal when I bailed off the roof and force-vomited because I thought if I didn't I would die. All the while hoping the bus didn't drive off without me.
2. The previous night, when I force-vomited for the first time in my life. Something wasn't working properly, obviously.
3. When The Niru force feed us enough to feed thousands and I was almost physically incapable of walking under my own power.
4. 3.5lbs of pancake.
5. Earlier today.

*Notable mention to the first time I tried, and eventually completed, the 2L challenge.

No comments: