Thursday, July 15, 2010

This had better not be the exception to the rule. Sucka.

Day Twenty, 7 July, 28.5 Miles
At mile 397, Poprart 110/1000
Clear skies and a frosty, windless morning. Yes. Met three Israeli NOBO's who had started early April and are leaving Colorado till last. Apparently most ahead have gone the Butte way as well. Excellent. Swapped stories, information and advise then continued in our opposite directions. All road walking so far except the last mile. Not a good start, Butte route. Despite hearing it was, it is in fact, not yet finished. So there will still be large chucks of road (generally gravel forest roads, like a nice wide trail I guess, not too bad). Usually I like crossing Interstates. I find it oddly fascinating going over/under and knowing in the time it takes me to walk a mile those people have travelled 25. They're all filthy and trashy and efficient. Today was the first of at least three I15 crossings (also crossed by the PCT down in SoCal at Cajon Pass). It was pretty miserable. The valley it sits in is wide and hot and cow-filled. And then the mosquitoes appeared. Had to makeshift camp, I'm on a hill. The bugs are approaching northern Yosemite bad. No fun. It's hot and they don't disappear till after the sun goes down (10.30). My bug bivy is too small and I just want to thrash around in a rage.

No comments: