Friday, July 2, 2010

No! Mongolians?

Day Eleven, 28 June, 26 Miles
At Mile 201, Poptart 44/1000
Up past Spotted Bear Pass and back with the official CDT towards the Chinese Wall. The Wall is a 22 mile, 1000ft high escarpment which is the centre point of the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Lost the trail as soon as I hit snow, at least 25 hikers should have come this way by now but their tracks have mostly melted out. Ended up ploughing straight uphill and took a super awkward fall where my foot dove in snow one direction, my body over-corrected a second and my pack swung out and threw me a third direction. That was pretty fun. Still enjoy the route finding, even if it is frustrating at times. Ended up spending much of the morning off trail. Got my first glimpse of the wall and its endless climbing potential, headed up above Larch Hill Pass at the northern tip of the wall and was slapped with one amazing view. Stood there for a while before dropping down to walk along the base. Today was definitely my worst day ever for postholing, impossible to get a walking rhythm going. Where there was exposed trail is was mud. Still, trail is almost always faster and easier. Left the wall early afternoon and headed down into another valley. Camped in a small clearing of a recently burnt out forest where a tree could fall on me at any moment. Noisy, creaky trees.

No comments: