Tuesday, November 9, 2010

...

Day OneThirtySeven, November 1, 7 Miles
At Mile 2668 (5 more than the PCT...), Poptart 1002!!!!!!!!!!!!
Easy four miles into Columbus. Chatted to some friendly Border Patrol on the way. Aside from LAX I've yet to have a bad experience with those guys. Maybe it's my imposing height or my non-threatening face. Who knows...
Went to the Patio Cafe for breakfast, and to collect the star. Dan, Anna and myself had been talking about making a star forever. Ley marks waypoints on his maps with stars and we wanted to make a red star (Ley official route), a purple star (Ley alternate) and a rainbow star (our own alternate) and take photos of us with them. Never actually happened until Dan made one for their finish (with Anna, Myke and Rock Steady about a week ago). Dan did a wicked job (thanks and congratulations to you awesome people) and it's our southern terminus as there isn't one down here, not being the official trail and all. Three miles of highway to the border, plenty of photos and curious stares along the way. Reached the border, in costume and devouring my 1000th poptart. Crossed into Mexico, they don't care much apparently, I didn't even have to get my passport out. Palomas is a small border town and is either exactly the same or a world away from many American towns on that side, depending on how you view the world. Ate at The Pink Store like the tourists we are and that's about as far as we got. Back into the US via the easiest crossing ever. At one point I was certain I could just walk back unchallenged but wasn't willing to try. If anyone wants to get into the US easily, try a Mexican crossing on foot. Oh, wait...
Got an unexpected hitch back to Columbus and checked into Martha's, a very relaxing B&B, perfect to chill. Which we did, I wouldn't call it celebrating, just a weird, detached feeling that something was finished. It's kind of like moving house (that's the best I can come up with). I am happy to be done, but glad I still don't have to return to normality for another two months. Thanks to Hawkeye, Kombucha, Rolling Thunder and DIY for making the end so much fun and not awkward. You guys are the bestest.

No comments: