Monday, November 15, 2010

Think Thonk Thank.

The community of support around the trail is unbelievable. The people of the divide were friendly, welcoming and frequently went above and beyond to help an unclean, unshaven, homeless, unemployed foreigner. I won't forget the kindness and friendship. Forever thanks to: St. Naomi, Phil and Beth Unger, Lost's Mum, Hawkeye's Parents. Hugo and Carole in Grants, Nita, Kathy, Wrong Way and Megan in Pie Town, Andy in Lake City, Kevin and Louanne at the Three Bears Hotel in Lincoln, Pete, Julie, Mike and Abie in San Lorenzo, Keith and Mary in Deming, Mike and Connie at the Mountain View in Lima, Bill and Pat in Leadville, Zed and Che in Chama and Annie for holding my stuff.

Jonathan Ley for the maps. These are absolutely the best and most useful navigational resource for the CDT. Aside from telling me where I was, what I really like about these maps is freedom they give you and the encouragement you get to explore, try alternates and embrace the corridor. Jim Wolf for the guidebooks. Perhaps the single most important figure in the development of the CDT. The guidebooks were invaluable in Southern Montana and Southern New Mexico and are a great companion to the maps. Also, far, far less infuriating and presumptuous and holier-than-thou than a certain set of PCT guidebooks...

Thank you to everyone who picked me/us up from the side of the road, offered me/us food, beer or water (even the elk steaks I couldn't eat), cached water and treats, the guy who dropped that Bud Light by the trail in Montana, the people who hurled abuse and gang signs as they drove past and the American puplic for giving wild America cows.

And to you, my fellow hikers. NOBO's IceAxe, Sage and Wrong Way. Flippers Lake, Whitefish, Pace and Coach. SOBO's DIY, Dave and Becky, Macon Tracks and Not Yet, Carbo and Jellybean, Masa, Stretch, DP and Wing It for the water reports. And most importantly the 2010CDTSOBOH.E.R.D. Dan and Anna, Hawkeye and Kombucha, Joker, Rolling Thunder, Rock Steady, Myke, Lost and Jack. It was a pleasure. You were great company, are the best of friends and all around wonderful people. Congratulations to all and especially you PCT'09 kids. Good to see you again/put a face to a name.

Joker, Hawkeye, Kombucha, Lost, Candyman, Queen Frostine, Found, Heaps, Rolling Thunder, Myke, Rock Steady.






Thanks to my mp3 player for keeping me company and my brain for keeping me entertained and on trail. I'll admit it, I'm an awesome navigator. Just don't follow me...

No comments: