Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Have you ever bean?

Day OneTwentySeven, October 22, 13 Miles
At Mile 2476, Poptart 896/1000
Everything dried out last night, 'twas quite warm above the canyon floor. Another dozen or so crossings of the Middle Fork, past some of the biggest ponderosa pines I have ever seen. Little Bear Canyon trail junction. Strange. I guess I was wrong in where I thought Jordan Hotsprings were on the topo. It's hard to pick with all these twists and turns. Oh well. Little Bear was incredible, a tight wee slot canyon for about half a mile then opened out with nice tread as RT and I headed for the Gila Cliff Dwellings.
Which were amazing.
Like the ultimate in abandoned house exploring. Mogollon people lived in the rooms built into the caves between 1275 and 1300 and there is still plenty of the structure standing (some was rebuilt by USFS). It was fun snooping around and listening to the stories told by the on-site guide. It was also redank cold.
Highway walk to Doc Campbells, which was about what I'd expected. Not much choice food-wise and not especially friendly. The ice-cream, coming highly rated, was average at best. Some hikers must have low ice-cream standards. Real low. Went down to the Hot Springs Campground, which was awesome. Spent the second consecutive evening soaking. These were quite a bit hotter than Jordan. Can't complain.

A skunk is stalking my tarp. Of all the animals in the world. I can't sleep for fear of waking up with a skunk snooping around my stuff, me frightening it and yeah. That.
GO AWAY SKUNK!!
Dang...
I'd take a bear right now.

No comments: