Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Oh did you see those lights!

Day OneThirtyThree, October 28, 32 Miles
At Mile 2602, Poptart 954/1000
Nice early start. As much as I enjoy sleeping in a bit, hiking as the sun rises is one of my favourite things in the world. The light is gorgeous and the world is peaceful and calm. That is, until you walked through cows and normality is restored. Damn cows. I have to admit, over the last few days I have been looking at cows with a more sympathetic eye. Evolution and selective breeding have not been kind to the species and they're too delicious for their own good. I'm sure they don't care though. All they do is wander about eating, drinking and sleeping. If only they would relax a little. Everyone took a break at first water. A copious flow brought to us by a solar-powered well. I went exploring around the ultra creepy abandoned farmhouses, anticipating attack from the crusty hermit living amongst the decay and rotting building. Fortunately for me, my imagination did not come to fruition. Truth is most certainly not stranger than fiction.
More cross country through pointy grass, each of us pausing periodically to remove the needles of grass from our feet. It wasn't too bad though, with large patches of open, lightly vegetated desert for us to pick our way through. A curious pronghorn antelope kept a safe distance during our lunch stop, but hung around for a good ten minutes and got close enough for us to check out. Continuing with the cross country, past more windmills. All flowing as long as the wind's blowing. And it almost always is. The water in New Mexico continues to be regular and of excellent quality. Saw a young rattlesnake just after I reached the road. Used a stick to shoo it off the road, was quite irritated but I probably saved your life snakedude. Made me think, crashing through the desert off trail while listening to music might not be the best of ideas. I continued on, music in ears. Bless my complacency. Fort Cummings was cool but there aint much left. Walking through the sunset is almost as wonderful as the rise and we set up shortly after with the lights of Deming in our foreseeable future.

No comments: