Tuesday, July 28, 2009

All of the joy of young people in love is conveyed in this delightfully simple melody...

DAY SEVENTY-SEVEN, July 25, 36.9 Miles
At mile 1558.6
Excited this morning to see how far I could go, 35 miles? The first couple of miles were glorious, perhaps my favourite little section yet. Mt Shasta, Castle Crags and Lassen Peak, together in view, with the previous five or so miles of trail tread crawling up below the Crags and around, round, round to my feet. I stopped every few steps to look around, no photo could ever do it justice, and I didn't even try. Very easy going today, gentle ups to the section high point, alas, not enough shade for lunch, so I continued to Deadfall Lakes and its crowded shorelines. It's all of five very flat miles from a paved road, and being a Saturday, well yeah. Four guys in three tents and a very expansive campsite were taking up the majority of the shade. I was as far away as was shadily possible, but from the looks I got... I guess my presence was ruining their 'wilderness experience'. Rishikesh is waiting, gentlemen. There were some ultra friendly folk about, but it was nice to cross the road and go the opposite direction from them all. Felt great all afternoon, came down to a saddle, listening to Skeleton Boy, with all the energy in the world and made it my camp for the night. It was only 7.30 but I enjoy having an hour of daylight to relax in whenever possible and my legs had easily taken me further than I had planned. Was gifted about half an hour of brilliant sunset. One of the best days on the trail yet. All is well.

No comments: