Thursday, July 16, 2009

Vanessa Carlton and The Proclaimers couldn't drown out the roar of 500,000 mosquito's.

DAY FIFTY-FIVE, July 3, 23.9 Miles
At mile 1010
Some very nice lakes this morning, shame the mosquito's were out in force, it must be the hatch. Crossing meadows is dangerous, I cannot begin to describe how many there are. Pretty awful morning actually, not much fun. Amazingly, by lunch I had passed through the worst, in fact almost as soon as the trail leaves Yosemite Wilderness, they're gone. Ha. Whenever squat nature calls I walk off trail a bit, of course. However, as discussed with other hikers, it's always so so much closer to the trail when you return than it seemed when you left. Often disturbingly, visibly close. Such an incident happened today. I was sure I was 100 metres off trail. But the trail had curved around to be no more than five open, very exposed metres from my spot of choice. This, I did not realise, until Mandown walked past. Luckily I was done. But curse you trail. Curse you. Climbed back above 10,000 and cowboy camped for the first time in forever. It was actually one of the best campsites so far, on a ridge top with about six others, views everywhere and one mighty fine sunset.

1000 Miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So much more to go...

No comments: